b

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Something better to review than "Without a Paddle"

Now many of you(ok maybe two people) wanted my without a paddle review. Well I don't know if those people really want that review since I was going to give it a 1.5/5. It's really, really bad. I did not really enjoy any of it and that is sad considering that I usually like Seth Green as an actor. Anyway what I will review though is a show that just sort of premiered on FOX after the Super Bowl. The show is called "American Dad" and it is brought to you by the wonderful Seth MacFarland who created the legendary "Family Guy." So cue that cheesy bold/italic tagline!


American Dad -Pilot Episode
Not as good as Family Guy, but really, what is?


"American Dad" is created by the same people that did "Family Guy" so you expect zany. And for the most part, it delivers. The show follows the life of a CIA agent named Stan Smith. He lives with his family consisting of his wife Francine, his daughter Hayley, and his son Steve. He also has an extended family consisting of a alien named Roger that he helped escape Area 51 and Klaus, a goldfish that has had a brain of a German man implanted in him. The pilot episode was mainly based around Steve wanting to get a date. His father tells him that power attracts women and helps rig the student election. With his new power in tow, Steve starts to get the ladies. it was also based around Roger getting too overweight and being put on a diet. He gets his food from Hayley in exchange for doing her college papers. Now I felt the show was pretty good for the most part but I felt some parts fell flat. The daughter, like Meg on "Family Guy", comes off kind of annoying. I also felt the mom was also kind of a useless character so far. One thing that is different between Peter and Stan is that Stan is actually pretty intelligent.

Overall though I don't have much to judge by. The actual series doesn't begin until May 1st, which is also the day "Family Guy" returns. The only thing that worries me is that it will be compared to "Family Guy" too often. "Family Guy" is a huge shadow to be in but I wouldn't be worried if I was Seth MacFarland. I personally think this show has a lot of potential and I am glad to see it will not be getting the "Futurama" treatment. By that I mean that when it premieres in May, it will follow "Family Guy", thus giving it a chance to find an audience. It needs to find an audience but that shouldn't be too hard because it has already found an audience in me.

Final Score

4/5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home